Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Shawn Marion Does NOT Opt Out, Gets $17.8 Million

This comes as no surprise at all. The only way Marion would have opted out is if he had come to an extension agreement, say for three years, $40 million. This puts the Heat on the hook for $17.8 million for one final season.

What does this mean? The Heat now have a maximum-contract player with an expiring contract. For those of you who don't know, expiring contracts are highly coveted in the NBA, since it frees up cap room at the end of the season. The Heat can elect to let Marion walk and use that money on a prized free agent, attempt to resign him, or trade him this year.

The real question, then, hinges on whether Pat Riley believes a Wade-Marion-Rose/Beasley nucleus is the recipe for success.

If I had to speculate, I'd guess that Marion will be gone after this year and likely before the season ends. In fact, he might even be traded before the season begins...as in, on draft night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My thoughts on Marion could probably be summarized thusly: He impressed me a lot last year, in the few games I got to see him in. Did he impress me to the tune of $13 million/yr? No.