Thursday, April 3, 2008

Days Without Games

How is it that we can survive 6 months without baseball, yet one night off during baseball season seems like forever? Is it that on-off March-April switch so frowned upon by the ladies in Damn Yankees?

I try to tell myself how it benefits the pitchers (and it really does here, since it ensures Scott Olsen will be ready), that the players need rest, that my life shouldn't revolve so much around a simple game of bat and ball. I recognize all that logic, and yet I'm still disappointed. Baseball during summer is like dinner; you notice when you haven't eaten, and there are nights you wish you hadn't (like 13-0 nights, for instance), but then there are gourmet delicacies so savory as to make up for all the others (Robert Andino walkoffs).

So no matter how good your team is, you're going to win and lose a few, but nothing is worse than a game not played.

No comments: