Monday, April 21, 2008

Nats Broadcasters High on Marlins...& Nats

As promised, here's my rendition of the Nationals' broadcasting team. Bob Carpenter and Don Sutton are quite the Marlins enthusiasts, though I've yet to see more blatant homerism than here. Let me point out a few specifics:

1. The cardinal sin in broadcasting is to never refer to the team you broadcast as "we." The Nationals team made this error repeatedly, even as they continued to plug the Marlins as an impressive squad.

2. Their opinion of Hanley Ramirez is beyond what I ever could have expected. They twice referred to him as "the best hitter in the league," and they were inordinately impressed with his two laser shots over the center field wall. The thing is, they may actually be right. He's a phenomenal talent.

3. They also thought extremely highly of Josh Willingham. It's not that I don't agree, but I'm puzzled that they would choose him of all players. In their words, "anything over the plate and this guy will hit it anywhere he wants."

4. Mike Jacobs? Not as high. Maybe they read Contributor Mike's piece.

All in all, it was an enjoyable experience. I'm looking forward to hearing Rich and Tommy's familiar voices again tonight, even if they're homers too.

1 comment:

Jay Warman said...

Sutton has always had a crush on the Marlins. His love was apparent back when he used to do Braves games on TBS.