Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Winning Cures All Wounds

I'm still not ready to relinquish all emotions after yesterday's umpiring mistake, but I'm feeling a lot better about things. That's what happens when the Marlins pummel the rival Braves in Atlanta.

It was a beautiful 7-2 victory, led by decent enough pitching from, yes, Andrew Miller. Don't be too fooled though; he still gave up 9 hits in 5.0 innings while scoring 0 strikeouts. That he surrendured only 2 runs is incredibly lucky, but I think the Marlins will take it. Any game won with Miller on the mound is worthy of celebration.

Where does this leave the team? Still up 1.5 games on the Mets (who defeated the lowly Nationals) and 3 ahead of the Braves. A win tomorrow can push that lead to 4 over Atlanta, and that's not something to take lightly. It's also worth mentioning that Hanley Ramirez and Mike Jacobs each launched their seventh homers of the season. Who could have predicted that? (Not Contributor Mike, we know that much...he hates Jacobs with a passion)

5 comments:

Jay Warman said...

ASponge: I think I speak for all South Florida Fan readers when I say that we are ready for you to grade the Marlins again.

ASponge said...

Point taken Jay. It seems I have a project for tomorrow. So be it.

Anonymous said...

Here's 2 fast grades for the Mars: Incomplete and Unprepared.

Miller has no business pitching in the major leagues at this stage of his career. Ownership should be arrested, or at least publicly horse-whipped for this abuse. And keep going up the line: why does MLB allow this charade of a team to persist?

For the kid's sake, I hope this experience doesn't pollute what might be a very good career.

Jay Warman said...

It a first place charade baby. I love charades!

ASponge said...

I haven't played charades in years, but it's fun.

As for Miller, you're right Squathole. If it were up to me, I'd send him down immediately and start Pinto or Doug Waechter (Marlins Today has been a big advocate for Waechter). Miller was plain lucky yesterday).