Friday, April 11, 2008

Rabelo's Back...Are We Gonna Be In Trouble?

The Marlins Organization's praise for Mike Rabelo is almost as astounding as it is ludicrous. Some attribute this to an attempt to save face; he was the third biggest name in the Cabrera-Willis trade, behind Andrew Miller and Cameron Maybin. Personally, I hope that's the reason, but I'm not so sure.

I'm legitimately worried that the team is overvaluing him. It's really quite baffling. He was never considered a major prospect, and he's done nothing in his minor league career (or extremely limited major league career) to suggest he's anything more than a career backup.

Why not make him earn a spot, let alone start a few games? It's not like Paul Hoover wasn't getting it done. As Fish Stripes espouses:

"That's right the Marlins are bringing up a catcher who hit .200/.250/.267 in class A during rehab and sending down one who was batting .429 in the majors. "

That just about sums up my feelings on this absurd situation. Matt Treanor may not be a powerhouse of a hitter, but at least he plays good defense. I'd rather take his hole in the lineup than a lesser black hole.

2 comments:

Matt Birnbach said...

Paul Hoover is horrible. Mike Rabelo is a switch hitting catcher that will bring some offense, and a better D than Hoover.

Treanor should still get the majority of at bats, but Rabelo is a much better option than Hoover.

Of course, John Baker should be the one starting, but that's another argument.

ASponge said...

My feeling on Rabelo vs. Hoover isn't so much that I think Hoover is better, but that Rabelo should do his penance in the minors until he shows something. I haven't seen anything, but maybe you have (and you're a more qualified voice)

I'm definitely curious about John Baker. I'd like to see what he can do.