Monday, March 17, 2008

Why I'm Rooting for the Suns...and Tigers

Whether fans of a player's former team should root for his current team has been a question as divisive as the Clinton-Obama race.

Normally I take a stance of ambivalence, wishing well for my former favorite while shifting my attention to my team's current players. That general principle goes out the window, however, in the case of superlative performers (or more specifically, when they brought your team a championship).

The Heat would not have won a title without Shaq. Wade may have become the star, but he wouldn't have had the supporting cast, nor the open lanes. Shaq's name alone brings in veteran discounts like Alonzo Mourning and Gary Payton, and it makes the team more attractive for role players as well.

Shaq has taken his lumps lately. The vast majority of media has called him finished, Pat Riley has taken a few shots, and his wife cheated on him. The Big Aristotle may be tough, but he also has some thin skin. He deserves better.

I want the Suns to win a championship for Shaq, for his legacy and because he's one of the most entertaining athletes we've ever had. Let's always be appreciative of what he did for Miami and root for him until he retires.

Following this logic, I've also adopted the Detroit Tigers as my second MLB team. Miguel Cabrera, Dontrelle Willis, Gary Sheffield, Edgar Renteria, Todd Jones, Jim Leyland, Dave Dumbrowski...all former Marlins. Sometimes, you have the luxury of all your former favorites ending up on the same team. Hence, Go Suns, and Go Tigers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what Shaq did for the franchise, but he's a whining, complaining jerk. As soon as he leaves, he breaks all ties with the Heat.

I just hope he keeps up his relationship with Dwyane Wade.