Saturday, March 29, 2008

From Mermaids to Manatees?

The Marlins, who recently staved off their own extinction by getting a stadium deal, will try to extend a fin for endangered manatees.

Why is this story noteworthy? Because on Opening Day, the Marlins will be sporting some CasualXL-Big&Tall-heavy-hitting MALE cheerleaders who average something like 300 pounds (and this story is corpulent enough to make it all the way out to the LA Times).

I've never been a fan of the Marlins Mermaids. Call me a purist, but I think of cheerleaders for football and basketball. It just makes the Marlins look amateur to me.

I absolutely love this manatee story, though, because it's truly ingenious, it's novel, and it supports a good cause...and it will be hilarious. I can't wait to see them on Opening Day. I'm sure they'll be hard to miss.

2 comments:

ASponge said...

Just to note: This story was featured in the NY Times too, with a hilarious picture:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/30/arts/dance/30laro.html?scp=1&sq=manatees&st=nyt

Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Maybe this is to keep the players from being distracted as they have had a few mermaids get fired for hooking up with the players.