Friday, March 14, 2008

Who's #1?

Getting the #1 overall draft pick may be the only bright spot from last year's decrepit 1-15 season (that and Greg Camarillo), so naturally there has been a lot of discussion over who the 'Fins should take.

Many believe Parcells has been actively shopping the pick. If he could get a couple later 1st rounders for it, I would do it. Let me point out, fans, that the hidden curse of the #1 overall pick is the money you have to pay your draftee. It's not like the NBA or MLB, where there's a structured system in place to keep rookie contracts down. These first rounders take up valuable cap space, and the teams drafting in the mid-to-late round benefit most (you can still get the top CB or S and pay less for it).

With that being said, let me swing all of my endorsements towards Michigan OL Jake Long. I'm not one to stick up for Michigan these days, but I've become a firm believer that offensive linemen in the draft are the surest things. Taking QB Matt Ryan, for instance, is a huge experiment, whereas Long gives the Dolphins a staple of their offense for years to come.

If you don't believe me, watch what happens to Pittsburgh without Alan Faneca this year (signed with the Jets). Their running game will run into its own steel curtain.

I know Jake Long is not the consensus pick, but in my humble opinion, he's the one to take.

No comments: