Sunday, March 16, 2008

What a Saturday for the Georgia Bulldogs

I know this isn't necessarily "South Florida sports" but it is the SEC and I think it is worthy of a blog entry. Who would ever have predicted that Georgia, last in the SEC East (4-12), would be going to the SEC Championship Game with a solid chance at the NCAA big dance? Not me, thats for sure.

Listen to this:

Because of the horrible tornadoes in the metro-Atlanta area, the Bulldogs would have to leave the Georgia Dome (exterior damage) and play in front of 1500 people against Kentucky (1400 being Kentucky fans) at Georgia Tech's stadium.

But thats not all.

By squeezing by Kentucky in overtime, Georgia had to play SEC West leading Mississippi State...on the same day, merely hours later! And they beat them too.

Ok, so your saying to yourself, well thats wonderful, but their gonna lose to 4th-ranked Tennessee on Sunday anyway: it was a nice run. Wrong, because Arkansas stunned the Vols 92-91 in the final seconds of the other SEC final.

So now Georgia is in remarkable shape to advance to the field of 65 and take away an at-large spot from another bubble team. I'm not by any means arguing that Georgia deserves to be in the tournament, but you have to marvel at their recent achievements. Having said that, I wish it had been the Florida Gators I had written this post about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First, let me say that the SEC is always blog-worthy, so blog on.

Second, I have to admit that I may not be the biggest South Florida fan, but I am turning into a fan of the DSponge contributions to the site.

Do your thing.