Friday, March 28, 2008

Shaq, It's Time to Move On

Yesterday, Shaquille O'Neal was interviewed by the Boston Globe before his game with the Celtics. He had this to say about his time with the Suns and his former team, the Miami Heat: “We have professionals who know what to do. No one is asking me to play with Chris Quinn or Ricky Davis. I’m actually on a team again.”

Give me a break! I understand that he felt he wasn't given enough playing time recently under Pat Riley and they obviously had a disastrous falling out. But 5 weeks after the trade, a trade that sends him to a championship contending team, Shaq has to call out Chris Quinn! Of all people! Quinn does not look athletic and certainly is not a star, but he has done everything in his power to make himself a better player. The Notre Dame guard is succeeding in the NBA and I guarantee you that he and Ricky Davis have handled themselves more "professionally" than Shaq is by making these absolutely unnecessary comments.

Shaq also called out the Miami Heat medical staff and other various team officials. I truly believe this is an example of pure arrogance and egotism. Why complain now? The Suns are a great team and Shaq should be savoring this opportunity to play with them.

And getting back to that press conference after the trade, nothing was said of Dwyane Wade or the 4th Championship that Riley won with him. Apparently Shaq and Wade don't have that buddy-buddy, jedi-apprentice, relationship that they used to.

Please. Have some respect. Can Shaq just recognize all of this at some point? Can he leave a team without being bitter. So far he's 0 for 3. The Magic, Lakers, and now the Heat, are non-existent in his memory.

Look, I do appreciate what he has done, after all, you have to say he fulfilled his promise to bring Miami its first ever NBA Championship. But I respectfully disagree with ASponge. While I will not root against Phoenix, I will definitely not go out of my way to root for them. No sir, not after the way Shaquille O'Neal has dissed the Heat officials, players, and most of all, fans.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

DSponge,

I will have a retort for you tomorrow. Let the Shaq debate begin.

DSponge said...

Bring it on!